The SNOWMAN network started in 2003 as an ERA-Net funded by the European Commission under the 6th Framework Program. The aim of the ERA-NET period (2003-2009) was to establish a network of research funders to execute joint calls for research projects. The first pilot call was successfully launched in 2006 by the five partners of the network (Ademe (France), MEDDE (France), SEPA (Sweden), OVAM/LNE (Belgium), SKB (The Netherlands)) and resulted in the funding of 6 projects (see call 1).
From 2009 to 2017, SNOWMAN was transformed into a self-sustained network of research funding organisations and administrations in the field of sustainable management of soil [and groundwater] in Europe. Initially focused on the management of contaminated sites, the network has progressively expanded its scope to tackle other aspects related to soil sustainable management.
SNOWMAN was a transnational group of research funding organizations and administrations in the field of soil sustainable management in Europe. They have been aimed to bridge the gap between knowledge demand and supply (Science-Policy-Practice Interface) through the development and sharing of relevant knowledge by:
- executing a research programme through calls for projects;
- sharing the knowledge developed in the SNOWMAN projects and within the national institutions among the members and our broader networks;
- involving end-users and stakeholders by giving them a role in our advisory group and in our project consortia with end-user participation.
A series of policy briefs presents the main results of the Snowman research projects funded by the network:
- Agricultural soils : practices and transition pathways to improve ecosystem service provision
- Refining approaches to ecological risk assessment for contaminated soils
- Assessment and management of polar Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds (PAC) in contaminated soils and remedial processes
- Supporting Decision Making on the Contaminated Land – Understanding the Risks and Opportunities
- Decision-Making Frameworks for the Remediation and Redevelopment of Contaminated Land
Full reports are also available.
- SNOWMAN Policy Agricultural soils (Eng)
- SNOWMAN Policy sols agricoles (French)
- SNOWMAN Policy ecological risk assessment (Eng)
- SNOWMAN Policy polar Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds (PAC) (Eng)
- SNOWMAN Policy Policy Supporting Decision Making on the Contaminated Land (Eng)
- SNOWMAN Policy Decision-Making Frameworks (Eng)